It’s not just a toothache or a chipped tooth which should get you reaching for the phone to make an appointment.
There’s a number of signs and symptoms why seeing your dentist is important, and not all are as obvious as others.
Here’s 10 signs that you need to make a visit to the dentist:
• You have a toothache: It’s pretty hard to ignore this pain and it will often indicate infection, disease, decay or injury.
• Your teeth are sensitive to hot and cold: If you’re experiencing increased sensitivity to hot and cold, tooth decay is a possibility, as is a crack in the tooth’s enamel.
• Yours gums bleed when brushing or flossing: Bleeding gums are not normal and may mean you have an infection.
• You have persistent bad breath: You could have some serious underlying health issues if this is the case.
• You are unhappy with your smile: If your smile is affecting your confidence, don’t be shy, talk to your dentist. You may be surprised at the many options out there. (No, braces aren’t always the best option!).
• You have a medical condition: Medical conditions (such as diabetes) and some medications can make oral health problems worse.
• You have difficulty eating, swallowing or sleeping: If you’re having issues with the above, it’s not normal.
• You have jaw pain: You could have an underlying issue you are not aware of affecting your jaw.
• Your mouth is constantly dry: Always feeling parched can be the sign of a medical issue or a medication side effect.
• You are pregnant: It is absolutely safe to see the dentist when pregnant. In fact, pregnancy can make some dental issues worse.
If I have none of the above, do I still needs to see my dentist? Regular check-ups can prevent many of the above from happening! The key message is don’t wait until it’s too late.
Don’t be shy, we won’t bite – book your next check-up with one of our Lumino dentists today!